How do I become a mental health nurse?
The Australian College of Mental Health Nurses advises that, with an undergraduate degree in nursing, you can register to practice as a nurse and work in most mental health settings.
However, to become a specialist mental health nurse, you need to undertake postgraduate study in mental health nursing at Graduate Diploma or Master’s level. Specialist mental health nurses may also undertake additional training in specific therapies, such as couple and family therapy.
Mental Health Nurses are in demand across Australia. Scholarships to study mental health nursing are available through the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing (DoHA) and through each State and Territory Department of Health.
How can I improve my knowledge and skills in mental health nursing?
- The Australian College of Mental Health Nurses is the peak professional mental health nursing organisation and the recognised credentialing body for mental health nurses in Australia.
It seeks to represent the profession at all levels of government and across all health service sectors. In addition, the ACMHN sets standards for practice, supports mental health nursing research and provides a forum for collegial support, networking and ongoing professional development for its members.
Importantly, the ACMHN also works to promote public confidence in and professional recognition of mental health nursing. Find out more about postgraduate mental health nursing study and check out their CPD Portal which includes eLearning, Webinars, Course Accreditation and Undergraduate Nursing Framework.
- The Australia and New Zealand Mental Health Association is a non-government, not-for-profit organisation dedicated to advancing the field of mental health. They host and support several conferences and webinars throughout the year, each of which focuses on a specific aspect of mental health and well-being. Membership is free: sign up here.
- The Australian College of Nursing is the pre-eminent and national leader of the nursing profession and a community of dynamic and passionate nurses. They offer short courses and CPD both face-to-face and online. Check out their Mental Health nursing education here.
- TasTafe is the largest public provider of vocational education and training in Tasmania and is governed by an independent Statutory Board consisting of up to seven members appointed by the Minister for Education and Training. They offer a Diploma of Nursing.
Post-graduate mental health nursing courses offered by universities
- Australian Catholic University
- Central Queensland University
- University of Sydney, Sydney Nursing School
- University of South Australia
- Southern Cross University
- Flinders University
- The University of Newcastle
How to find a mental health nursing job?
If you are looking for a mental health nursing job, sign up now and apply for gigs suiting your schedule. With uPaged, you are in complete control of your career. Enjoy meaningful work and choose nursing jobs perfectly matched to your skills, interest and experience. Plus, you get to work at a healthcare facility you want to work at … it doesn’t get better than that.
AIt’s a win-win for hospitals as they can attract highly qualified nurses to fill casual shifts, term contracts or permanent placements. Our thoroughly vetted and employment-ready practitioners are available now. If you are a facility seeking nurses and need help onboarding on our platform, contact Alex on 0480 028 835.